Thursday, April 24, 2014

Kid Logic

Can I start by saying how much I love my kids. Seriously, I do, I can’t imagine where I would be without them. I think they’re amazingly creative, smart, and talented… after all I’m their mom, I think it’s in the contract somewhere with nature that we’re all just a tad biased when it comes to our kids. Still, have you ever tried to reason with a half-pint ankle-biter? Sometimes it makes me want to pull my hair out… other times it just cracks me up.

They think they have all the answers. Life would make perfect sense, it’s only us crazy parents getting in the way and messing it up… well, sometimes other adults too. If only they could just be in charge and run the world things would work the way they should, right? EC came up with a name for those moments - kid logic.

It used to drive Monkey nuts when he would she was in the middle of a kid logic rant and he would call her on it. Recently she got to turn the tide just a little as Tiger started in on one. Yesterday driving around doing errands Tiger informed me that he didn’t need to do reading as part of school.

When I asked him why he thought that he didn’t need to read any more he put on his very best in charge voice and started listing his reasons - he didn’t have to read when he was at real school (ummm…. I don’t think so), reading was just too boring, and he already knew how to read.

The funny part of this that had me cracking up was that he’s also stated recently that his life’s ambition is to be a famous author. I asked him how he thought he could do that if he stopped reading books now. He matter-of-factly told me that he already wrote books and he would be fine. I tried hard to keep myself at least somewhat serious sounding as I told him it was practically impossible to know everything at just 7 years old that he would need to know about story telling to be able to be an author. Monkey smiled and called him out on his kid logic.

To give him some credit, he amended his statements today and says that he does like reading science books and he plans on being some kind of scientist now instead. I told him to go for it. :-)

What are some of your favorite kid logic stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment