Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday Gospel Musings: So What's the Big Deal with General Conference Anyway?!

As noted, this past weekend was the LDS General Conference. We are so blessed to be able to hear from prophets and apostles twice a year. I can't even begin to describe how much I love Conference weekends. Hearing council from our leaders (men and women) helps renew me and strengthen my faith and testimony and give me that extra push I need to choose better. And yes, I need that every six months. I would probably go every week if I could but it would  be just too overwhelming. So bit by bit, every six months we hear them and learn from them and renew ourselves again to keep trying and do a little more to be a little better.

I'll be reviewing these new conference talks as well as some of the old each week but until then here are some of my thoughts and notes.

1st - I think if anyone wonders if we are a Christian church they must not have listened to any of the talks from any of our conferences. There were so many powerful messages and testimonies of Christ that just touched my heart. After all we believe that that's the biggest responsibility of an apostle - to testify of Christ. "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." 2 Nephi 25:26

2nd - Truth is truth. I thought it was interesting in so many areas of thought how this conference seemed unique in that it didn't leave any room for speculations - the truth will always be the truth no matter how many people believe otherwise or how many arguments are made against it. By its very nature it is and will be. End. Of. Discussion.

3rd - We need to love more. We need to love God, ourselves, our families, our neighbors, our enemies. No exceptions - whatsoever. We need to better understand love more though as well. When we love someone we want what is best for them so it doesn't mean that there won't be disagreements, it just means that we will always focus more on the person than the problem so that they know that they are loved - by us and by our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. When someone really understands how much they are loved a lot of the problems will work themselves out on their own anyways.

Well, those are the basics for now. If you're interested in seeing some of the talks check them out on www.LDS.org. For more of my thoughts just keep checking the blog!

What were your thoughts? Did you see Conference? What stood out most to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment