Monday, April 13, 2015

Life's Little Lessons: How to get what you want.

Bear is two. That really just about says it all. He is an absolutely joyous handful.  Recently his vocabulary has skyrocketed but there’s still so much that he struggles with communicating – hence the frustrating terrible two’s. Instead of getting frustrated with him (like I’m pretty sure I did with his big sister and brother) I’ve been trying to figure out what I can learn from him.

One of Bear’s favorite words and signs is the sign for “more” we get that a lot. When it gets frustrating for him is when he can’t communicate what he wants more of. We all know he wants something but figuring out just what can be a challenge.

It made me think about my own communication – how often do I communicate half of an idea or explain only half of what I need and then expect others to understand. It’s not really fair to them and it rarely gets me what I want.

I think that most people respond better when they are asked politely with a clear understanding of what’s needed and wanted.

No. One. Reads. Minds.

Lesson learned: If I want something or need something I need to not be afraid to just ask and make sure that I’m clear about what it is that I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment