Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday Gospel Musings: Anchoring Deep

In general I try my best to listen to the talks that we have during our meetings on Sundays. It's often hard with the three little ones. I'm usually busy just trying to keep them maintaining some semblance of reverence that I might get a piece here or a piece there but overall I don't get to just listen. Yesterday was a bit of an exception. It was one of those amazing talks that I think everyone was listening to. Even Tiger for once just sat on his daddy's lap contentedly. (although I think I did have to chase down Bear once when he decided that the chairs in front of us made a great tunnel to crawl through).

So as the rain poured and thunder crashed outside the speaker shared these thoughts:

He had been working in South Florida 30-40 years ago when a big hurricane was destined to hit. He described the rush of preparations that takes place prior to these events. It brought back many child-hood memories of mine as we were caught up in similar preparation rushes.

His story went on that he had a friend from work that had recently purchased a house boat. The friend was desperately trying to secure it against the storm and asked for help. A couple of them got together and started trying to tie the house boat down with great lengths of rope.

Sometime during this process an older man spotted them and took pity. He told them the only real thing to do was to place four anchor points around the boat, anchor it deep, give the ropes some slack, and hope for the best.

The speaker then went on to say how we all face impending storms in our lives. It could be in the form of natural disasters, employment, relationships, or health. It really doesn't matter. What matters is how we are anchored.

Are we anchoring deep in to the Gospel of Christ? Do we know that God is our loving Heavenly Father? Do we know that He sent His Son to live and die for us? Do we believe that Christ atoned for our sins and that we can live again with Him? Are we keeping the commandments that He has given us and searching His words?

Anyways, the talk got me thinking. A lot. I think it's time that I worked a bit on my own anchors.

No comments:

Post a Comment