Tuesday, July 29, 2014

365 Days to Self-Reliance: Day 1 - Making the Goal



There seem to be lots of books and blogs and even a movie or two about people striving to reach certain goals within a year. I’ve got to admit ever since watching Julie & Julia I’ve been intrigued myself. I don’t know about anyone else but even though a year seems like such a long time it’s frustrating to see how quickly it can go by. Lately one of my biggest ponderings has been about the time that Heavenly Father gives us. Personally I believe it’s one of His greatest gifts. If that’s true and each year or day or even minute is a gift from Him shouldn’t I be working harder to make the most of them? When I look back on the past year do I see growth or stagnation? Worse yet, am I falling behind?

I usually would put it off indefinitely with the notion that I should wait for something like New Year’s or my birthday but I’ve come believe in the wisdom of starting where you are and starting now. Although there are lots of things I feel like I need to work on the one that's been weighing most heavily on my mind lately is self-reliance.

So today I'm making a goal. Over the next 365 days I'm going to be learning more about self-reliance and implementing  the ideas and information that feel right for us now. By July 30, 2015 I plan on having achieved a basic level of self-reliance. This means that I'll be making goals in the areas of education, health, work/employment, home storage, finances, and spiritual strength. The intent of my year long challenge is to strengthen and secure my home and family so that we can then reach out more effectively to help those around us. That's what I believe the basic message of self-reliance is.

What about you? Do you have any big goals that have been nagging at you lately? Suggestions for me to help with mine? I’d love to hear about them.Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment