Monday, September 21, 2015

Becoming Domestic - My Journey as a Novice Domestic Engineer


“So what do you do?” 

“I’m just a Stay-At-Home-Mom. I spend all day taking care of the kids and house.”

“Oh, you mean you’re a domestic engineer!”


This brief part of a conversation with someone was a major boost for me. I didn’t particularly like the idea of identifying myself as a SAHM. I felt like there was so much more to it than that. I’ve seen my share of viral posts trying to define and support all of the different roles that women who choose to put off outside employment are involved in and only a small part of it is just staying at home.

I struggled often with my feelings of in-adequacy in my roles as wife, mother, and especially as homemaker. I knew I had so much room for improvement and it didn’t help that when people asked me what I could do I could either say I was a SAHM and feel like I was conjuring images of a couch potato mooch who sat around all day watching television and ordering in pizza while complaining about everything or try and list out all the different things that I did every day and feel like I was trying to prove myself and my worth.

Looking at myself as a domestic engineer helped me rethink my role. If I began to look at myself as an engineer of all our family’s domestic needs I could see that I had a skill set that was needed and could be improved upon even if I wasn’t already a master. The burned French toast and make-a-mix casseroles were only my first steps. If I had a problem with cleaning or organizing it wasn’t the end of the world, it was an opportunity for learning.

So I’m a domestic engineer. Every day my job is to look after the things that make our home comfortable and happy and take care of my family. It's an important job with lots of room for improvement and growth and joy. I may still feel like a novice somedays but that’s ok. I can’t think of anything that I would rather be.

No comments:

Post a Comment